Friday, September 24, 2010

I wonder if there's a "Complete Idiot's Guide to Doing Your Hair..."

So here we are again, in the wee, small hours of the morning, and I'm wide awake.  Freshly finished with my nightly attempt to shrink myself back down to "Skinny Ali," I decided blogging was a great way to cool down.

Today was pretty eventful, drove down to see my cousins and hang out.  My Cousin Face (our mutual nickname for each other) was teaching me how to do my make-up and hair like a pin-up girl so that by the time Halloween rolls around, I should be able to do it myself.  For me, you should understand, this is ridiculously ambitious.

Let me preface this by first telling you that I am a self-proclaimed hair retard.  Probably because I never had anyone to show me how, I just had a lot of girlfriends who wanted to play with my hair, so I let them have fun and didn't pay much attention.  I only JUST learned how to curl my hair by myself on Saturday!  I'm 24 years old.  That's a little pathetic, no?  I was however, very proud of my accomplishment and decided to take pictures immediately before my pretty curls realized what was going on and retreated back to their familiar state of straight and boring...

I'm so proud of me!

...and then I decided to put on a little make-up, just for kicks
So as for today's lesson, Cousin Face did both my make-up and my hair for me.  She did, at least, explain what she was doing as she was doing it, so that some information might actually manage to sink in.  The lesson in make-up was a cake walk.  I am totally confident in my abilities to pull it off.  The hair however... not so much.  I watched her do it.  I paid attention.  I thought to myself, "hey, that looks way easier than I thought it would..." imagining for a moment that my new hair-curling superpowers made me some kind of overnight hair genius. "Even I can do that..."  Wrong.

After pictures were taken and I returned home, I decided to take off all my make-up, brush out my hairspray infused locks, and try to pull off at least the make-up and the pin-curl rolling on my own.  The make-up was easy, just as I thought it would be.  I moved on to attempt the pin curls, figuring that I had an advantage since my hair had been done like that for the better part of the afternoon.  Maybe, I'd get lucky and my hair would just find its way back to the position it had been in mere hours before.  Nope.  I stood for about an hour rolling and unrolling the same section of hair until I had FINALLY managed to get it in some likeness of what it had been.  It wasn't entirely horrifying, just mostly terrible.  Also kind of a waste of hairspray.

So, like I said, here we are, at 5am (a time no one should EVER see unless they have not yet gone to bed, as I have not) and I'm about ready to force myself to relax and sleep.  One of these days I'll get my sleep schedule back to normal, but for now, off to Wonderland I go...

2 comments:

  1. My ALI-SONNNN! So you have finally joined me in the blogging world. It's amazing the things you learn about yourself simply by documenting your life!

    I knew you had interesting things to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finding it's already gonna give me a reason to take more pictures. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete