Thursday, December 16, 2010

Feeling all theatre-y...

Maybe its the weather, maybe its the fact that I am at the final countdown before the holidays... maybe it's the fact that "Singin' in the Rain" (The ULTIMATE movie musical) was on TV last week.  But I'm just in a theatre-y kind of place at the moment.

Now that I have basically finalized my New Year's Eve plans (I will be down in San Diego at the opening of "The Maiden's Prayer" put on by my favorite men over at Triad Productions) I am feeling a little nostalgic.  Remembering my days at SDSU, taking acting classes, and working on shows, and sitting at the ever entertaining benches (where if you stand there long enough you will likely see someone break out in song, a fight scene, or a dance number) makes me wonder why, with so much talent in the world, does no one put on an honest to god movie musical anymore.  They keep trying ("Chicago," "RENT," "Burlesque") but nothing compares to the real deal.


As I've said before, I was brought up in the world of theatre, and I am what they used to call a "triple threat."  I can act, I can dance, and I can sing, because those were almost requirements back when movie musicals ruled the silver screen.  Not so much anymore.  To prove to you that musical theatre, however campy it may be, should be revived, I have supplied you with links!  You will all be converts after watching these, I just know it.

*credit*
A few weeks back, on an episode of (what else?) Glee called "The Substitute," a number of teachers come down with a form of bird flu (all thanks to Sue) and so Mr. Schue's substitute Holly Holliday (played by the magnificent Gwyneth Paltrow) takes over the New Directions.  While she's at McKinley, hipping up the Glee club, Mr. Schue is at home, dreaming himself into his favorite feel better movie "Singin' in the Rain." 


*credit*

Watching him dance around with Mike Chang (Harry Shum, Jr.) was a real treat, and I commend them for sticking as close to the original choreography as possible.  However, as you are about to see, Donald O'Connor is a tough act to follow.  Enjoy!
 

Also, I think tap dancing is a lost art.  It's incredibly difficult (especially to make it look effortless) and when done right, the end result is nothing short of magical!  I give you, Moses Supposes, which can also be seen in "Singin' in the Rain!"

2 comments:

  1. Why aren't the current movie musicals not the real deal? What makes it the real deal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just mean that the new movie musicals are more movie than musical, and while they aren't BAD, the talent and the kinds of dance numbers are just not the same. There are not very many people who can do all three this well (like in "Singin' in the Rain") anymore.

    ReplyDelete