Friday, December 10, 2010

I'm Classy Like That...

So, if you read my last post, you know I'm losing my job.  Sad story, the industry is political, blah, blah, blah.

My bosses have asked me to make a few little notes here and there to pave the way for the new guy.  There's just something about that that rubs me the wrong way.  When I came into this job, they told me what to do, they helped out here and there, but mostly, I had to figure things out for myself.  Thank goodness their last PA had things like their grocery list saved on his computer, and was able to email them to me.  That was a big help.

Keep in mind, I work in an industry where, as my mother would say, "everyone thinks they're curing cancer."  Basically, that means that my job is to make sure that everything goes off without a hitch.  Perfection is expected of me, but as the new guy AND the lowest guy on the totem pole, perfection is impossible.  It's difficult, at times, to cope with the fact that I am not really allowed to screw up, but it is next to impossible NOT to screw up.  Shit happens.  Like parking tickets.  And cops who have nothing better to do than to write a speeding ticket for the last in a line of cars who are also speeding.  Last time I checked, that's called "keeping the flow of traffic."  But I digress...

Back to my original issue.  How come this guy has it easier than I did?  I'm willing to bet that since he's worked with them before, AND he has a penis, he will not catch nearly as much shit as I did when I started.  I mean, these guys were downright rude.  And I played cheerleader, and kept a smile on my face.  'Cause I'm classy like that.

So I wrote down instructions for different tasks.  How to order office supplies online, everything he needs to know about coffee, how to transfer calls on the multi-line phone (it took us about a week to figure it out), how to handle the petty cash envelopes, etc.  It almost felt like I was back in school, and writing my final essay on all of the testable material.  I'm even letting them keep the expandable file I bought to keep the petty cash organized (and separate from my own money).  'Cause I'm classy like that.

I also keep other paperwork organized in a larger expandable file. That I bought.  And it's pretty.  I'm taking that with me.  He can figure out his own filing system.  His boy brain probably works differently than my girl brain, anyway.

Needless to say, I'm feeling bittersweet about this situation (leaning toward the bitter side, if you couldn't tell).  On the up side, I won't have to work for these guys and deal with their ridiculous eccentricities anymore.  Down side, no job, two tickets, and more time spent cooped up at my parents' house.  I can definitely kiss any possibility of attending the premiere goodbye.  I probably won't even get an assistant credit, or special thanks on the film.

I do appreciate the opportunity I had, the learning experience, and of course, the fact that my voice will be part of the ambient sound in the film.  It was an extraordinary first entertainment gig, and in no way do I take it for granted.  'Cause I'm classy like that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are picking out some of the positives--hey, that's big for you :)

    Who knows, maybe a job in SD is in the works? We shall see. What's cool is, you have something new on your resume. It can only help!!

    Stupid that penis boy (redundant?) gets to have advice from you. Whateva!

    P.S. I can totally hear your mom saying that :) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what's sadder, is that I found out he's their magical favorite PA who already knows everything. So really, I did a lot of that for no reason.

    ReplyDelete