Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Music Challenge - Day 10

For this installment of the challenge, I have to tell you what song makes me fall asleep.  Well... I fall asleep to the TV... so turn off the lights, make the room glow blue, and turn on some white noise and I'll be out like a little light bulb.  However, this is a music challenge, so I can't really use the TV as an answer.

I DO however, have a song and an accompanying story to go with it... because I already know you're gonna read this and make a face as though I have three heads.

Day 10: A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep

Okay.  You think I'm crazy right?  This jaunty song by the Norm Wooster Singers is more fitting for a stroll through the park or a carriage ride than it is for bedtime.  Let me explain.

When I was about... 11 or 12, I was getting to a point in my life where sleeping over at friends' houses and going on class trips out of town were becoming more common.  At the time, I couldn't fall asleep without the TV.  Well, okay, if I got tired enough I'd eventually pass out, but I was basically unwilling to try any alternative to television.  So my parents devised a plan.  Maybe we'll try music.  And so we did.  The first couple nights were pretty rough, but eventually, I got used to it.

I had a boom box in my room (when it was working) and the CD I used to use was the soundtrack to That Thing You Do!  For those of you who don't have this soundtrack, this is track one.  In all honestly, the entire soundtrack is the answer to today's music challenge, but if I can only pick one, this is the song I associate with that time in my life.  Make no mistake, some nights I made it all the way to "My World is Over," "Mr. Downtown," and even "I Need You (That Thing You Do)," which is the last song on the soundtrack.

Just for kicks, I'll tell you that to this day, I still sleep with the television on.  Not because I can't sleep without it, just because I prefer to sleep with it.  Runner up in today's challenge, "Down In New Orleans" from the soundtrack of The Princess and The Frog.  I was falling asleep to that movie for a while and it got to the point where I'd be passed out before the movie really even started.  So I guess maybe that should have been my answer.  Whatever, I like my anecdote better.


day 01 - your favorite song
day 02 - your least favorite song
day 03 - a song that makes you happy
day 04 - a song that makes you sad
day 05 - a song that reminds you of someone
day 06 - a song that reminds you of somewhere
day 07 - a song that reminds you of a certain event
day 08 - a song that you know all the words to
day 09 - a song you can dance to

No comments:

Post a Comment